Yes, it’s that time of year again! Walktober is a month-long celebration of walking and an opportunity to create dialogue about walkability issues in the CRD. All you have to do to participate is:
1. Go to stridekick.com/tc/walktober17
2. Sign in or sign up & link your device (smartphone apps and fitbits are compatible, along with many other devices)
3. Search for your team (enter the name of your municipality into the search bar and scroll down to find the right team). Click “join team”!
4. Download the Stridekick app from the iTunes or Google Play store
Stridekick is an online platform that enables anyone with a FitBit, smartphone fitness tracker, or other device to join the Walktober challenge. We’re challenging CRD residents to walk at least 10,000 steps per day and to see how much they can walk in total over the month of October.
- Compete against your friends and colleagues
- Win prizes
- Challenge yourself to walk more for fun, transportation, and health!
You can also contribute to the Walktober dialogue by sharing your thoughts about walkability, photos of your walk, and anything else using the hashtag #WalktoberYYJ. If you use Instagram, tag your walking and walkability photos with @walkonvictoria and use the hashtag for another chance to win!
Walktober is a part of the CRD’s People Power program, funded with support from the Victoria Foundation and Traffic Safety Commission.
What is Walk On, Victoria?
Walk On, Victoria is Greater Victoria’s pedestrian advocacy group. Formed as a volunteer-run non-profit in September of 2014, Walk On, Victoria aims to give a voice to pedestrians and ultimately to make Victoria a safer and more enjoyable place for everyone to walk.
Check out our 2016-17 Strategic Plan to see what we’re up to this year.
If you want to help make Victoria more walkable, become a member!